BRENT HAMPSON

Hey Rick,

I can't believe I've been out here this long and haven't checked in with you yet, time seems to be moving so much faster now, but I apologize.

School is absolutely amazing. I finally feel like I'm where I belong and with the right people. I love everything I get to do each day and feel like I'm learning more than I can keep up with. My basic technique class is has been a life changing experience. They're really focusing on opening us up and freeing the artistic expression. We've done animal work, private moments, tons of sensory work of course, and effective memories. We're moving into character work now, then we'll start preparing for our festival performances. 

I was cast in a directors piece so I will be in two performances at the end of the year. The work I'm doing in my voice class is helping me greatly. Its Linklater work, which I'm really enjoying. I've found a lot of places in my body where my voice was being blocked and working on ways to free it. We're moving into resonator work this week. Theater History is a  very interesting class, even though I'm probably the least well read person in the program, its great to live and breath this stuff every day. 

Being in New York is really just the icing on the cake. Its so great to be able to pop into a random off-broadway theater on any given night and see a quality show. I've seen a few shows on Broadway so far; Grace, with Paul Rudd and Michael Shannon. Glenn Gary Glen Ross, with Al Pacino. Once the musical and Peter and the Star Catcher. So far we've had Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Liam Neeson and Tina Fey visit our school. The most exciting moment for me though was meeting James Lipton. He's a hero to me, so being able to shake his hand was so surreal. Once again Rick, I can't thank you enough for kicking my butt and pointing me out here. I can't remember a time in my life when I was so excited to get up every morning.

Hope all is well with you

Brent